The Theatrical Guild is the UK charity supporting Backstage and Front of House staff, with over 130 years experience.
We help people across the UK to recover from ill health or injury, overcome sudden set-backs, access mid-career training or provide support with their mental health.
Whether you need personal support or are interested in developing your career, we can provide practical help at any stage of your career – providing financial grants, welfare guidance or counselling.
And please be reassured that every application is handled with respect and in total confidence.
We’re on a mission to break down the stigma of asking for support.
Our aim is always to help solve the immediate problem without delay and to get people back to work as soon as possible. We aim to empower people to take control of their lives, to find solutions to their own problems and be to be self-sufficient. It’s not always easy to ask for help but we all know how challenging our industry can be – so please reach out to TTG.
So, let’s get you back on your feet and doing what you love.
In recent years, we’ve helped people deal with problems both in their careers and their personal lives. We listen to any problem and we never judge anyone. Some people sustain injuries at work, some contract illnesses or need to care for family members. Others struggle with depression or anxiety, sometimes caused by bullying in the workplace, family breakdown, personal identity or the death of a loved one. We’ve supported people in abusive or controlling relationships and we’ve helped people avoid losing their home. A lack of money should never be a barrier to achievement and we’re proud to be a safety net for theatre workers. Whether the problem is practical or emotional, is big or small – we will always try find positive ways to help.
These are just a sample of the people we support ;
- Stage Management : inc SM’s, ASM’s, DSM’s
- Front of House : inc Ushers, Box Office, Merchandisers, Bar Staff,
- Costume : inc Designers, Dressers, Wigs, Hair and Make-Up
- Sound : inc Designers, Engineers, Technicians, Operators
- Lighting : inc Designers, Operators, Technicians, Programmers,
- Theatre Management : inc Theatre Managers, Company Managers, Production Managers, Duty Managers
- Directors : inc Directors & Assistant Directors
- Set Construction : inc Riggers, Carpenters, Flymen, Electricians, Technicians
- Stage : inc Scenic Artists, Painters, Stagehands, Stage Door Keepers
- Automation : inc Designers, Operators, Technicians, Videographer
- Props : inc Prop Makers, Puppet Makers
- Specialist theatre photographers
- Casting Directors
- Access Providers : inc Captioners, Audio Describers, BSL theatre interpreters
- Support Staff : inc Chaperones
Applicants must have spent most of their career working in a relevant Backstage or Front of House role – completing a minimum of 3 full years employment out of the past 10 years.
TTG DOES NOT support Actors, Singers, Dancers, Comedians or Musicians – unless they also have relevant Backstage or Front of House work experience. Please see our Useful Resources page for other theatrical charities that offer support to performers.